Tell-tale Signs You Need the Specialty of an ENT Doctor

Child being treated by a doctor

Most people have their go-to physicians whenever they need help addressing medical conditions. Your doctor may be able to treat common medical conditions. But there are times when you may need to consult an ENT if your condition is a more complex case.

reliable ENT doctor in Denver can help you identify the cause of your ear, nose, or throat problems. They can even help diagnose your condition in a related area. But how do you know if you need the help of an ENT specialist? Here are five tell-tale signs that say yes:

Sudden or persistent hearing loss

ENT Doctor treating a patient

Sometimes, hearing loss can be caused by listening to loud music for a long time. But this usually happens for a short while. If your hearing loss is sudden, you haven’t listened to loud sounds in a longer time, and the problem persists, then it is time to let the specialists do their work.

Hoarseness that lasts for a few weeks

Sometimes, we experience hoarseness if we shout or yell too much, or when we overuse our voice. But if your hoarseness hasn’t gone away and it’s already been at least four weeks, then it is time to get checked by an ENT. This can already be a sign of a medical condition. Some of the common signs of hoarseness are pain when speaking, breathing problems, and voice changes.

Loss of smell

Are you finding it hard to enjoy your food? If you have lost your sense of smell, then you will really find it hard to enjoy eating as a lot of flavors will depend on the smell. As we grow older, we lose smell receptors, thus causing the inability to smell things better. But if you are below 60 years old and are already losing your sense of smell, then it is best to consult an ENT specialist.

Recurrent tonsillitis

Do you often get a sore throat? Is it often accompanied by severe pain, fever, and difficulty swallowing and breathing? Then what you need is to book an appointment with an ENT specialist. They can give different treatment options for your recurrent tonsillitis after a series of tests. If your condition does not respond to antibiotics, they may suggest surgery.

Dizziness and balance problems

Do you often feel dizzy, have nausea, hear a buzzing or ringing sound, or feel pressure in your head? Then you may need to see an ENT doctor. Note that your body’s balance system is located in your ears. Of course, you will need to undergo a series of tests in order for your doctor to confirm a diagnosis. They may ask you to take certain medications, change your diet, exercise, or even undergo physical therapy to address your dizziness and balance issues.

Sometimes, what you feel and the signs present will already give you an idea whom to seek advice from. But there are also times when you may find it hard to pinpoint what you are really feeling, urging you to go to your primary care provider. But when it comes to any ear, nose, and throat issues, it is best to have a specialist look at them so that they can help you find relief the soonest time possible.

Scroll to Top